Re: 1.3.2: I get a GPF everytime I run SETUP.EXE

David,

I know full well that it would be more interesting to find out why I am
getting a GPF, but I also happen to know that I am in the ideal position to
track the problem down and to post a patch:

  1. I am the one who happen to have the affected equiptment.
  2. I have small programming and debugging abilities.
  3. I am not scared to get into a compilation and debugging of a program
     that's I just installed.

Maybe I won't be able to post a patch, I won't promise that basing on my
allmost nill understanding of the Win32 API, but I can at lesat track down the
problem to:  "I get a GPF on line XX in file YY.c, being variable "*foo" equal
to "bar" and post that to this list.  In order for me to do that, I need at
least to have at least:

  1. GCC
  2. GDB
  3. Make
  4. Sources for SETUP.EXE
  5. Binary utilities
  6. Some sort of text editor that understand UNIX conventinons (otherwise, I
     could use either XEmacs, Emacs, or VI through SAMBA from my other Linux
     box).
  7. Anything else that would be required to successfully compile theprogram,
     and start debugging it.

I tried that link BEFORE making my bug report.  Unfortunatly, all that link
says that I should really be using SETUP.EXE because it is so much easier, it
did tell me not to use Winzip nor other Windows archive programs, it gave me an
URL to download pointing to a bootstrap file which I did download, and it
finally told me that if I needed more help than that, I should really be using
SETUP.EXE.  Nothing else is there; no list saying this are the cone contents of
each file, the binary utilities are here, GCC is here, Make here, and GDB here;
no list of setps saying that to activate it I would do a and b and c, nothing.
It would apparently read between the lines: "Here, we have made this
wonderfully effective SETUP.EXE program and you don't wnat to use it?  Tough!"
The problem is that it is not true that I dont wan't to use it (I do), I can't
use it.  Every time I try to use it, I get a GPF.

Thanks a lot,

Víctor