What changes does cygwin bring to the Windows NT 4.0 OS?

Greetings.

  I am experiencing some problems on my Windows NT system.  I do not believe that Cygwin is the culprit.  However, I do need to get a confirmation from the community.

  What changes does Cygwin bring to a Windows NT 4.0 system?  More particularly, I want to know if there is any Cygwin code that runs when I boot up my Windows NT
machine, login and start say MS Word.  I believe that no Cygwin code adds itself to the startup and login sequence.  In other words, if I reboot my machine and do not
explicitly call any Cygwin executable, it is as if Cygwin was never installed (except for the HD space taken).

  Does Cygwin changes/adds something in the registry?  What about environment variables?  What does Cygwin do when it installs the software?  Its sets up directories with
the executable, but what more?

Sincerely,
Hans Deragon