Re: PASSWD.EXE and Re: Possible to login as different user?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Use /bin/crypt to create DES encrypted passwords and copy them into
> your /etc/passwd for telnet or ftp.

How exactly does one copy the encrypted passwords into /etc/passwd and
get telnet/ftp/login to read them?  I tried several approaches:
1. Piping the output of mkpasswd into /etc/passwd
2. Also tried appending the output of crypt to the same file.
3. Even tried using the -U domain/user, -S SID format suggested in login.README
even though those instructions were for WinNT/2K and I have Win98.

Neither approach worked as I expected.  It seems that if the username I supply
when
prompted exists within the /etc/passwd file, login doesn't even prompt me for a
password.
It just responds "Fanfare!! You are successfully logged into this server!!!"
Sure that saves typing, but it's worrisome in terms of security!  ;-)

If you could provide a sample or excerpt from a working passwd file, that might
just do the trick.

Thx!  (BTW, I'm impressed.  You sure do respond fast!)

Connor J. Flynn
MS K9-24		Connor.Flynn@arm.gov
Battelle NW, PNNL	509-375-2041
PO Box 999		fax-271-0030