Re: The continuing saga: building Xemacs-21.5--i686-pc-Cygwin: PART IV

At 8/17/01 07:23 PM (Friday), Charles Wilson wrote:
>David A. Cobb wrote:
>
>>At 8/17/01 06:23 PM (Friday), Charles Wilson wrote:
>>Errr...you need to run the command from the build directory where all the
>>.o files are.  <top>/src/ I think.
>>Gaaaak!  Actually "<build>/src" -- it is very LONG!  Attached.  I don't
>>know whether the attachment will slip through to the list.
>

>Okay, here are some excerpts from your log.  Here's your problem:

>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/libgdbm.dll.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/gdbm.dll.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/libgdbm.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/cyggdbm.dll failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/libgdbm.dll failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/gdbm.dll failed
>attempt to open /usr/lib/noX/libgdbm.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.dll.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/local/lib/gdbm.dll.a failed
>attempt to open /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.a succeeded
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>this must be an old libgdbm library.  You should be using the import
>library in /usr/lib.  However, this wouldn't be such a problem if your
>object files had been compiled with the gdbm #include files that "match"
>the /usr/local/lib/libgdbm.a library.
>
>However, it's obvious (!)

Right, "obvious to the most casual observer."  I've heard that one before.

In this case it's exactly right, the /usr/local/lib/... was a leftover from
a long-ago attempt to compile the gdbm.  I deleted it and the collect went
fine.

>  from the errors you are getting that your object files were compiled
> with the "official" gdbm include files in /usr/include -- but you're
> linking against the wrong gdbm library.
>
>Either (a) install the gdbm include files that match
>/usr/local/lib/libgdmb.a into /usr/local/include, or (b) remove
>/usr/local/lib/libgdbm.a.
>
>--Chuck

Chuck, you de man!  Thank you, Merci, Gracias, Grazie, Danke, Spasibo.

HOWEVER.

Having been told that "the linuxplay bug has been fixed," and seeing that
the gdbm problem was solved, I went back and allowed the configure to
auto-discover the sound: it finds "sys/soundcard.h" and therfore links in
linuxplay.o and miscplay.o.

Therefore, I get
 > attempt to open scrollbar.o succeeded
 > scrollbar.linuxplay.o(.text+0x124c):linuxplay.c: multiple definition of
`play_sound_file'
 > ntplay.o(.text+0x418):ntplay.c: first defined here
 > linuxplay.o(.text+0x12cc):linuxplay.c: multiple definition
of >`play_sound_data'
 > ntplay.o(.text+0x6f8):ntplay.c: first defined here

Then the link ends thus:
 > zmacs_regions                                     menubar-msw.o
 >                                                   editfns.o
 >                                                   callint.o

zmacs_update_regio/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
link errors found, deleting executable `temacs.exe'
 > n                               editfns.o
 >                                                   event-stream.o
 > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 > Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
 > Reaping losing child 0x04647dc8 PID 868143
 > make[1]: *** [temacs] Error 1
 > Removing child 0x04647dc8 PID 868143  from chain.
===

So, is the warning sufficient to give the "1 exit status?"  If so, I'll go
back to --with-sound=none until the problem is fixed: looks like something
unguarded in a header.
If that's not it, please give me a clue how to find it.  I searched for
"error" with no satisfaction.

The log is >4Meg because of all the requested verbosity, and I don't know
whether it tells me anything useful.  O well, another *&%@#'n learning
experience!

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!