Help please

I have been running the cygwin tools on Nt for the last year or so and
recently had a major problem and before I re-install the tools I have a few
major worries.

What seemed to happen is that after a hard crash I got a blinking cursor and
my system refused to recognize my system drive even though the symbios drive
utility could see the drive and verify that all sectors were undamaged but
still unrecognizable as a drive that could be used by my system.  This
immediately made me think of the cygwin tools and how they set mount points.
Due to time constraints I took the machine to my VAR, had a new drive put in
and re-installed NT.  I should also say that the VAR that I use is very pro
and they could do nothing for the data on my drive or explain what happened
just that the drive was inaccessible and that they would have to re-format
the drive. I told them to just leave it alone. The drive is a a 9 gig
barracuda in two 4.5 gig partitions.  Now that I have a new drive as a c:
drive this drive has become my f and g drives f is what was previously used
as my system drive so I reformatted that drive with no problems but left the
g drive untouched with the hopes that there might be a way to recognize the
drive again and retrieve any un-backed up info.  Any advice on how to do
this would be greatly appreciated even if its , no way and I have to
reformat and loose all info.

My other question is, what could possibly have happened that would cause my
drive to be in a stable (no bad blocks or sectors etc) place and yet be
unrecognizable?  Do I run risks such as this in using the cygwin tools on
NT? ( I love these tools and do not want to give them up) Is there something
that I could have done to prevent this?

TIA,

--
Jordan Halsey