Re: press for cygwin

At 17:14 3-9-2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 10:56:18AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
> >>Why not then just generate files named ".cgw" instead of ".tar.bz2",
> >>and let cygwin setup.exe know that?  Then WinZip will most surely *not*
> >>be able to naturally open these files (neither now or in the future)
> >>and this whole discussion will be closed, as well as any WinZip-related
> >>thread.
> >>
> >>Note that not all packages should use the new suffix; only essential
> >>ones (like cygwin itself) so that the burden on package developers
> >>would not be too bad: after all, once you've installed the basic cygwin
> >>parts using setup.exe, I doubt you will go back to WinZip! :-)
> >
> >Somebody else mentioned this earlier -- and explained that Debian did
> >exactly that.  ".deb" files are just ar archives, but .deb implies that
> >they obey some sort of internal format standard ("CYGWIN-PATCHES" ?
> >/etc/postinstall?  )
> >
> >I actually think this is a pretty good idea.
>
>It does have merits except for the fact that you lose the ability to
>distinguish between a .gz and .bz2 compressed archive.  setup.exe
>determines the uncompression method from the name.  If it sees .bz2 file
>it says "Bwhaha, this is a WinZip confuser archive.  I will uncompress
>this file with great vigor".  If it sees a .gz file." it thinks "Oh
>well.  I'll uncompress this but I'm not happy about it since the file is
>recognizable to the evil GUI WinZip."

I can think of two possible solutions:

1.  ".cgw" files should always be bzip2-compressed

2.  Use different extensions, e.g. ".cgb" for bzip2-compressed, and ".cgz"
for gzip-compressed packages.

I tend to think option 1. is the best, why, after all, would you have to
support gzip-compressed packages?  Perhaps setup.exe should support
".tar.gz" and "tar.bz2" files for a little while.

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning