Re: On Win98, connections hang when using remote command execution with SSHD.

Corinna,
> Not a solution, just a guess. Try a developers snapshot of Cygwin.
> It's not that likely to help since the problem is probably induced
> by the crappy pipe handling of 9x/ME, but...
I tried it, but it makes things even worse (*if* I did it right). I took
cygwin1.dll and put it into /usr/bin, nothing else, I did no recompilation.
Here's the report:

I use the following batch file in the Startup folder to start sshd on
Windows startup:
================
@echo off
D:
chdir \programme\cygwin\bin
bash --login -c /usr/sbin/sshd.exe
================
With the old cygwin1.dll, the DOS-Window in which this batchfile is started,
never vanishes. I checked "close window on exit" for the batchfile, but no
result. With the new cygwin1.dll, the DOS-Window actually goes away after
sshd backgrounds, which it should. So this is the good news.

The bad news is that sshd still sleeps after having completed exactly 8
connections. I can't open any new connections to this sshd, so this
behaviour didn't change with the new version. But in the old version I could
kill sshd, start a new one, and I could try again for 8 connections. With
the new version of cygwin1.dll, I can't even restart after killing sshd, the
newly-started sshd never gets a connection.

My current solution to the problem, by the way, is to run sshd from inetd
(with the old library, of course), which may be inefficient, but works.

Frank