Re: wget not behaving correctly

Standard disclaimer about only reading the digest list ...

cygwin-digest-help@sources.redhat.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: wget not behaving correctly
> Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:41:18 -0400
> From: Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
> To: "C. Porter Bassett" <cporter@byu.edu>
> CC: cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> C. Porter Bassett wrote:
>
> > When I run
> >  wget -r -A gif,jpg,png,bmp
> > http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/galleries.php?mode=2
> > it cannot find the file
> > http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/galleries.php?mode=2, but it can when run
> > in linux.  Perhaps this has something to do with the ? in the URL?

Yes this is the '?' in the URL. There can be two problems here depending
on which shell you use. First your shell may not send the '?' to wget
but directly complain that it cannot expand the globbing character '?'
to a filename, I cannot tell if this is the case as you did not include
full output of running the wget command.

Second, wget will save the first retrieved page as
'galleries.php?mode=2' which is an illegal filename on Windows file
systems (because of the '?') again I cannot tell if this is the case.
There are a couple of patches to workaround this in the wget archives
(http://sunsite.dk/wget/) but none has been accept by the Wget
mantainers (too Windows specific), nor has the Cygwin mantainer used it
in the cygwin version.

In the future consider including full debug output when reporting a
problem `wget -d ...`

> I think it's a version thing.  Cygwin's wget is 1.6.1, the latest
> version is 1.7.  I'll update wget once cygwin-1.3.3 is out (and no, I
> don't know when that will be).

Chuck, is there any extra functionality in cygwin-1.3.3 or is this just
a resource problem (limited time) ?
In the second case should I take over mantainership for cygwin wget (a
version 1.7.1 is expected any time now) ?

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Hack Kampbjørn               hack@hackdata.com
HackLine                     +45 2031 7799