Re: 1.3.2 rmdir fails if CWD is in the directory to be deleted?

Randall R Schulz <rrschulz@cris.com> writes:

> You should try it. On many Unix systems it will work just
> fine. After the rmdir call, no call that uses a relative file name
> will work, however, since the directory must have been empty to be
> removed and in doing so the .. link would have been removed.
>
> This applies to "classic" implementations on the Unix file
> system. Chris has pointed out that IRIX does not behave this
> way. Since those details are not part of the API specifications, the
> implementers get to do what they please.

The (POSIX)|(X/Open) spec currenly says (about rmdir()) :-

(38292 ff.)

> The rmdir( ) function shall remove a directory whose name is given
> by path. The directory shall be removed only if it is an empty
> directory.  If the directory is the root directory or the current
> working directory of any process, it is unspecified whether the
> function succeeds, or whether it shall fail and set errno to
> [EBUSY].  If path names a symbolic link, then rmdir( ) shall fail
> and set errno to [ENOTDIR].
>
> If the directory's link count becomes 0 and no process has the
> directory open, the space occupied by the directory shall be freed
> and the directory shall no longer be accessible. If one or more
> processes have the directory open when the last link is removed, the
> dot and dot-dot entries, if present, shall be removed before rmdir(
> ) returns and no new entries may be created in the directory, but
> the directory shall not be removed until all references to the
> directory are closed.  If the directory is not an empty directory,
> rmdir( ) shall fail and set errno to [EEXIST] or [ENOTEMPTY].

My reading of this is that if you have a directory open by virtue of
it being your working directory, then it is valid for rmdir() to fail.
If however it is open via opendir(), then the rmdir() must succeed.

--
James Youngman
Manchester, UK.  +44 161 226 7339