Re: Virus Found

Nick Drage wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:50:26PM -0500, Jonathon Merz wrote:
>
>>That is actually a good idea IMHO.  (Though you may be right that
>>"flashing" it is not the way to go :) Putting a message about turning off
>>virus scanners early in the install (maybe something like "Turn off your
>>virus scanner during this installation, see the FAQ for more info.").
>>

> Do you really want to encourage users to disable virus programs before
> installing software?  That is *very* bad practice.

Only buggy ones like McAfee that *routinely* flags normal .tar.gz and
.tar.bz2 files as "viruses".  It would be nice if we could say "update
your .dat files" but so far, McAfee has shown now interest in improving
this "feature".

>>I certainly can't speak for everyone, I usually don't read readme files
>>until _after_ I install software unless there is something that tells me
>>it would really be in my interest to do so beforehand.
>>

> You really should get in to the habit of reading them beforehand, that way
> you get to see what you would have broken rather than what you just broke.

Well, it's not really his fault. Setup doesn't currently let you see the
README; you HAVE to install it first.  (obvious gratuitious setup
feature "suggestion" goes here).

--Chuck