Re: [BUG] cygwin-1.3.3-2 -- making auto-import dlls

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 10:19:27PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:38:24AM +0900, Jong B. Lee wrote:
>>
>>>Attached file is a part of Charles Wilson's dllhelpers-0.2.7
>>>(originally from Mumit Khan's).  This dllhelpers used to be introduced
>>>as an example for those people who ask how to build and use dlls on
>>>cygwin, and its' good.
>>>
>>>It fails to run on cygwin 1.3.3-2 with a heap error.  C++/F77 cases
>>>work good.  Only C examples fail to execute.  This error does not occur
>>>on cygwin-1.3.2-1.
>>>

>>Change the DLL load address to be something besides 61500000 and it will
>>work.
>
>Does this mean that something needs to be fixed in the
>"--auto-image-base" code?  Since the dllhelpers example uses that flag,
>*I* would expect ld to NOT generate a known bad load address.

I have no idea.

Cygwin now attempts to relocate its cygwin heap immediately after the
DLL.  If another DLL loads but up against the Cygwin DLL then it
will cause problems.

Like many things in cygwin this is a compromise over many distasteful
options.

If it truly offends people then I assume that everyone will rush over
to cygheap.cc and find another solution to the problem.

If it means that auto-import-base doesn't work then that's really
a shame.  I don't know what to say beyond that except live with
it.  I'm not going to fix binutils.

For me, it's a compromise of Windows XP whining over auto-import-base
whining.  So far the XP whiners win by a longshot.

cgf