Finding resources/lists for Linux/Cygwin C++ development with gcc?

I'm trying to research issues with building shared libraries of C++ code,
built with gcc, which can be explicitly loaded on demand, and also providing
a C "facade" so that C-only applications can use them.  Are these resolvable
issues on Linux and/or Cygwin?

I've been searching on "www.linux.org" and "www.redhat.com".  I found a
"linux-gcc" mailing list, but I have a feeling that list is dead (no
response to my note, or any activity at all, in almost a week).