Re: gcc 3.01 Build ??

I thought it was up to 3.0.2.

You should be able to find useful information in the standard gcc
build information plus the archives of this list.  Minimum
configure parameters (useful for most of us)
are --with-included-gettext --enable-sjlj-exceptions .  Before
running configure, you should set the CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS to
combinations you consider suitable.  BOOT_CFLAGS is the most
important one during a bootstrap build.  CFLAGS must include -g,
if you wish to have -g available in all supported
anguages.  -march=pentiumpro -Os -pipe ought to be improvements
over the default build options.

I believe java will not build out of the box.

You might wish to build binutils with an increase in the ALIGN..
parameter in bfd/coff-i386.c, in order to get reasonable
performance with 64-bit data.  Configure parameters same as
above.  This is likely to break the standard cygwin g++ library,
which is not used by 3.0.x.  No need to rebuild binutils if you
don't care about performance.

If you install binutils in /usr/local (the default), your new gcc
build will default to the original; you would need to
configure --with-as=/usr/local/bin/as in order to use the new
one.  You can also do an integrated binutils/gcc build.  When you
install your new gcc to /usr/local, your new copy becomes the
default (contrary to normal gcc behavior).

If you wish to run the gcc testsuite, I believe that cygwin has
not yet accepted all needed patches to the .exp files.  I really
meant to make a diff between the working files and the ones which
come with cygwin, so I can quickly patch a new installation.
Maybe tomorrow.