chmod/chown + ntsec doesn't work (was OpenSSH and RSA authentication problems)

I saw one other post that said that you should
make sure CYGWIN is set to "ntsec" but that doesn't
necessarily mean that chmod or chown is going to work.

I tried your example from a bash shell on my system,
with CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec. Of course, chmod didn't
work right. You can see from the following output that
chmod worked in some cases, and chown definitely
didn't work. I checked the FAQ, the archives, and the
documentation, but there seem to only be suggestions
to "set CYGWIN=ntsec" and "you can't use chmod on 95/98".

This seems like the root of your SSH problem Dave, I just
wish I knew why chmod didn't work.

/home/pbuckley $ touch example_file
/home/pbuckley $ ls -la example_file
-rw-rw-rw-    1 pbuckley Domain U        0 Oct  5 08:47 example_file
/home/pbuckley $ chown system.system example_file
chown: changing ownership of `example_file': Permission denied
/home/pbuckley $ chmod 777 example_file
chmod: changing permissions of `example_file': Permission denied
/home/pbuckley $ chmod +x example_file
/home/pbuckley $ ls -la example_file
-rwxrwxrwx    1 pbuckley Domain U        0 Oct  5 08:48 example_file
/home/pbuckley $ chmod 777 example_file
/home/pbuckley $ ls -la example_file
-rwxrwxrwx    1 pbuckley Domain U        0 Oct  5 08:48 example_file
/home/pbuckley $ chown system.system example_file
chown: changing ownership of `example_file': Permission denied
/home/pbuckley $ chown SYSTEM.SYSTEM example_file
chown: changing ownership of `example_file': Permission denied
/home/pbuckley $ chmod 600 example_file
chmod: changing permissions of `example_file': Permission denied
/home/pbuckley $ ls -la example_file
-rwxrwxrwx    1 pbuckley Domain U        0 Oct  5 08:48 example_file
/home/pbuckley $ chmod --version
chmod (fileutils) 4.1
Written by David MacKenzie.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.
/home/pbuckley $ /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/chmod 600 example_file
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/chmod: changing permissions of `example_file':
Permission denied

TIA,
Peter

--