Re: chmod/chown + ntsec doesn't work (was OpenSSH and RSA authentication problems)

Okay, welcome to the twilight zone. All of a sudden,
chmod started working. Now I can't reproduce the
problem anymore. I haven't changed anything tricky,
like opening additional applications on my machine
or anything. But, chown still doesn't work. And
we can still say that chmod doesn't work intermittently,
although I hope it never stops working again
randomly.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is
known to man...
-Peter

Peter Buckley wrote:

> Ummm.... Egor, what are you talking about?
> Have you tried the same commands on "any
> flavor of unix"?
>
> Chmod DOES work as I suppose it to. I tried
> the same commands, on SunOs 5.7, and they worked
> just fine. No errors, and I got the expected results.
>
> /home/pbuckley $touch example_file
> /home/pbuckley $ls -la example_file
> -rw-r--r--   1 pbuckley ccase          0 Oct  5 09:57 example_file
> /home/pbuckley $chmod 777 example_file
> /home/pbuckley $ls -la example_file
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 pbuckley ccase          0 Oct  5 09:57 example_file
>
> And about chown- I am an administrator on my NT machine. And
> I have changed ownership before, when I was setting
> up SSH according to Mike Erdely's instructions.
>
> It is just now that I am trying this example that chown
> doesn't work- and I have done an upgrade (last month?)
> to cygwin 1.3.3 *after* I knew chown was working when
> I setup SSH and chown-ed files to system.system.
>
> So my question is still unanswered- why doesn't
> chmod/chown + ntsec work anymore?
>
> TIA,
> Peter
>
> egor duda wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Friday, 05 October, 2001 Peter Buckley peter.buckley@cportcorp.com wrote:
> >
> > PB> I saw one other post that said that you should
> > PB> make sure CYGWIN is set to "ntsec" but that doesn't
> > PB> necessarily mean that chmod or chown is going to work.
> >
> > PB> I tried your example from a bash shell on my system,
> > PB> with CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec. Of course, chmod didn't
> > PB> work right. You can see from the following output that
> > PB> chmod worked in some cases, and chown definitely
> > PB> didn't work. I checked the FAQ, the archives, and the
> > PB> documentation, but there seem to only be suggestions
> > PB> to "set CYGWIN=ntsec" and "you can't use chmod on 95/98".
> >
> > PB> This seems like the root of your SSH problem Dave, I just
> > PB> wish I knew why chmod didn't work.
> >
> > chmod shouldn't work as you suppose it have to. try the same commands
> > on any unix. you'll get the same diagnostics.
> >
> > PB> /home/pbuckley $ touch example_file
> > PB> /home/pbuckley $ ls -la example_file
> > PB> -rw-rw-rw-    1 pbuckley Domain U        0 Oct  5 08:47 example_file
> > PB> /home/pbuckley $ chown system.system example_file
> > PB> chown: changing ownership of `example_file': Permission denied
> >
> > ordinary user can't change object ownership. this is the way the POSIX
> > works.
> >
> > Egor.            mailto:deo@logos-m.ru ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19
> >
> > --
>
> --
> Your mouse has moved.
> Windows NT must be restarted for the change to take effect.
> Reboot now?  [OK]
>
> --
>
> --

Your mouse has moved.