Latest cygwin setup.exe 2.78.2.9 crashes when run via VNC

Folks;

We have no direct access to an NT server we need to install cygwin on.

So we're using VNC (WinVNC) to remotely connect to that
server.  Unfortunately the server isn't internet connected so I have all
the cygwin packages on a network drive.

Every time I try running setup.exe and select "Install from Local
directory" setup.exe dies with an access violation dialog.

Anyone have any problems with this? This is on WinNT Server 4.0

Thanks a bunch for any clues you may have, we're up against a wall and I'm
trying to sell folks on both Cygwin and VNC so a solution would be a godsend.

-Chris
(Currently not on the list so please reply to me if you would)