rxvt font problem

I tried to use telnet in a rxvt window under cygwin to access a database
application made with oracle forms.
Everything works fine, even the function keys work correctly.

There is just one problem left: Some graphical characters (horizontal and
vertical lines, edges, ...) to display frames and picklists do not work.

I downloaded several free monospaced fonts and started the application
using rxvt:
   rxvt -fn <font-name> -e telnet ...

Some fonts can be loaded this way, others not, without notification.

Can you please tell me

1. Which fonts do support 'graphical' characters?
2. How to address fonts correctly in rxvt?

Greetings,
Holger Hagedorn