RE: cygwin 1.3.[23] grindingly slow

Hi,

[...]
> Is it faster or slower if HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH is set?
> What is HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE? Aren't that Windows environment
> variables? I never used them for Cygwin.

I tested the patch on a (big) recursive make, it improved time from
12minutes to 10minutes.

I used strace to look for performance bottlenecks.

The patch made the improvement if HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are set,
because (at least in my test) doing a query for user information (using
NetUserGetInfo() API) seems to be slow.

YMMV. This is precisely the kind of feedback that I was interested in.
There is no point in submitting a patch if it does not make an
improvement :)

FYI: I originally made the patch to snapshot cygwin-snapshot-20011001-1.

Now, I wonder if all I have actually saved is some DLL loading time: and
that you would only see a benefit during a big job, such as, for example
a recursive make???

[snip]
> So at least ls -lRa is *faster* without the patch (which is
> version cygwin-1.3.3-2), the tests with the patch is a recent
> debugging cygwin (pre-1.3.4, maybe this is a little slower
> because of debugging?).

Could you try again with a non-debugging version?

Blue skies,
.Ian.