Re: cygwin 1.3.[23] grindingly slow

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> Stephan Mueller schrieb am 2001-10-08, 14:59:
>
> >There is no nt dir command file.  It's a built-in in the standard NT
> >shell cmd.exe.  To run dir under a cygwin bash, you might try something
> >like
> >$ cmd /c dir
> >
> >Hope this helps; I'm keen to see speedups in this area myself, because
> >ls can be very slow if I'm connected to my work network, especially over
> >a comparatively slow link from home.
> >stephan();
>
> Ah, I see.
> Ok. Now I can compare the ls runs with cmd builtin command.
> BTW, builtin commands should be faster...that is why they are builtin.
>
> Unfortunately the time command doesn't show times of windows processes.
> I will have to write a little benchmark script.
> Maybe someone has one written?
> Also a pointer to a website would be helpful.

Hi

It's not just ls, I just used that as a simple example.

At work I have a project to port to NT, and we have a large, complex and
very inefficient set of makefiles and scripts written in-house. These do
things like take a statement such as
VERSION = 1.3.3 and generate paths for object directories like
$HOME/object/CYGWIN_NT-4.0/my_lib_1_2_3. It doesn't help that we're
using VC++ as our compiler. Each time that I launch make, the same set
of temporary dependence files are generated, the same set of directory
names, library names etc. are generated and so on.

As I said this is *slow*. It can take perhaps half an hour between
typing 'make' and the first invocation of cl.exe. The same build
environment on Linux or Solaris takes at most a minute to do all the
pre-compile gubbins.

One of my thoughts was that the problem was due to me using a SunPC card
(the video output is redirected to a window on my Solaris desktop which
means 2 layers of drivers for the video, and the hard disk is a regular
file on the Solaris UFS, which means 2 layers of drivers for disk
accesses as well, thirdly, the NIC is also virtualized). The PC is also
a bit low on RAM - 64M of which the video card pinches 2M. However, I
did some tests at home (on a 'real' PC with 512M RAM) and I got more or
less the same  factor of difference between cygwin and cmd.exe (20 to 30
times slower).

A bientot
Paul