Mysterious $HOME issue

I'm having a very strange problem with my $HOME env var misbehaving.
Some programs (such as ncftp) are using a mapped network drive (U:) as
my default path. This is the correct _DEFAULT_ system path that the
company uses, but I have long since changed this (in System Properties
in W2K). I have changed every relevant home-type env var with no luck.
I've made a LITTLE progress by changing some of the vars in my
/etc/profile but nothing significant. (my .bash_history was being
written to U: as well, but updating the path in /etc/profile fixed it.)
ncftp still creates .ncftp on the network drive even though "set"
returns HOME="/home/myusername".

This problem originally manifested itself immediately BEFORE I last
updated cygwin. While I am quite sure that this is NOT a bug with
cygwin, I'm afraid that I really don't know where else to look to
correct it.

TIA

-Alex

p.s. I don't know if this is in any way related, but the "bookmarks" cmd
(in ncftp) stopped working at the same time. (i.e. It doesn't open up
with 0 entries, it just doesn't open up, period.