Re: Can't run Make under Cygwin on Win2000

turner@uvs.is wrote:

[snippage]

> I don't
> know if this is relevant, but I am not using Cygwin perl. I am using
> Activestate perl.
> So I tried to run perl -MCPAN -e shell and thats when my troubles began. I
> would prefer not to discard the ActiveState Perl and resort to Cygwin if at
> all possible.

Ah, this is vitally important information.  You will not, AFAIK, be able
to run ActiveState's Perl from within CygWin and expect anything much
to work.  ActiveState's Perl is built with lots of non-standard options,
including the Win32 thread-emulation code, none of which (again AFAIK)
will have even the slightest chance of working under CygWin.

Anything you want to do under Perl will need to be done from a regular
command prompt and not from within bash/CygWin.  You will also need to
have VC++ and use nmake.  Perl modules must (in general) be built with
the same compiler that Perl was built with.

John

p.s. cc'd to cygwin list to close the "report"

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group