Re: cygiwn newline character

Looks like the shell built-in is the echo that has been changed.
Good to know since that means you can use the standard echo from
the /bin directory.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:07:43PM -0400, Robinow, David wrote:
>  This is getting crazier and crazier.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo -e hello world '\t' hi there
New option for no good reason but to break compatibility

>     OR
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo hello world $'\t' hi there
new syntax also breaks compatibility  I would not recommand using this
either.

>     OR
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /bin/echo hello world $'\t' hi there
>
>     OR
>
> #!/bin/tcsh
> echo hello world '\t' hi there
>
>     But NOT
>
> #!/bin/tcsh
> /bin/echo hello world '\t' hi there
>
>  Interesting facts:
> 1) /bin/sh on cygwin does not have the same features
>    as /bin/sh on many familiar unix systems.
>
> 2) bash is documented  (man bash !) and behaves like
>    bash on many familiar unix systems.
>
> 3) echo is a shell builtin. It is a mistake to talk
>    about the "cygwin echo" unless you mean /bin/echo
>
> 4) It's spelled "cygwin" not "cygiwn"
>
> 5) This thread has nothing to do with newlines.
>
> 6) tcsh programming is harmful.

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb