Re: Perl module XML::Parser + Expat build problem

Hallo Bruce,

2001-10-25 16:28:21, du schriebst:

> I tried your patch as follows, but it fails:

> "
> (expat-1.95.2)# patch --dry-run Makefile.in  expat.patch
> patching file `Makefile.in'
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 90.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to Makefile.in.rej
> "

> Am I applying it correctly ... I am so naive in these matters ...

Hmm, I don't know.  Well, look in the patch, I added only one flag.
At the top of the patch are the linenumbers and the name of the file,
here lib/Makefile.in, and probably line 90, add '-no-undefined' like it is
in the patch, thats it.

Looks like this then (all in one line please):
LINK = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link  $(CCLD) -no-undefined -version-info $(LIBCURRENT):$(LIBREVISION):$(LIBAGE) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

> I have seen these threads on the whole 'cygwin + XML::Parser + Expat' issue,
> but have had no luck solving my problem - why is it soooo complicated ?

It isn't, but the expat coders have a bug in the sources so it will fail
to build with a .dll, the bug was reported several times now, but they
don't release a new version...

> I have seen it suggested to go back to previous versions of expat +
> XML::Parser,
> to get it to all work with cygwin - would the install tools be more evolved?

You will also need expat.  Probably there will be some more trouble as
usual.

> Why can't I use the pre-compiled win32 binaries with cygwin - is it because
> they were compiled using the MS compiler, rather than 'gcc'?

The modules need to be compiled with the same compiler as perl was.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                 http://www.convey.de/
                                                Vitalisstraße 326-328