Re: gd-2.0.1 link problems under Cygwin

Hallo Jari, Hallo Thomas,

2001-10-29 15:45:52, du schriebst:

>     I've been trying to compile the gd library under http://cygwin.com
>     but I'd appreciate more expert help. The problem seems to be
>     the linking phase. Compiling succeeded fine.

Yep, that is great;)

>     The default started with:

[some errors snipped]

>     Next I included some libs to satisfy the symbols, but got stuct to:
>     ( -lcygwin -lbz2 -lcrypt -lcrypto -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfreetype -lcygwin )

Why libbz2, libcrypto and twice libcygwin, any special reason I'm not aware of?

[snipped more errors]

It doesn't work as it does on a Linux machine.
I changed some lines in the Makefile so it works now also on Cygwin.
I attached the whole Makefile since the patch isn't much smaller.
See there for details.

Now building and installing are two steps, an additional target called
'strip-install' is available.

Move the old Makefile out of the way, and link Makefile.cygwin
to Makefile:

$ mv Makefile Makefile.orig
$ ln -s Makefile.cygwin Makefile

Make sure that there are no more old versions of libgd somewhere around
in /usr/local/lib or elsewhere.

Type 'make' to get the NEW instructions.

Modify the Makefile to your needs, I have Xfree86 installed with libXpm
and libfreetype, you may remove some of the flags and libraries if you
haven't Xfree86 installed.

Then:

'make dll'
'make install' or 'make strip-install'

Thomas,
you may include this Makefile.cygwin in your dist if you like it.

Gerrit
--
convey Information Systems GmbH                 http://www.convey.de/
                                                Vitalisstraße 326-328