PostgreSQL, cygipc question

I am trying to run PostgreSQL under cygwin. All installs went fine and the
PostgreSQL server seems to start fine, but when I attempt to connect to a
database via psql (or other method) the client hangs and I see the following
in the server log:

pq_flush: send() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

The versions installed are:

cygipc-1.10-1.tar.bz2
cygwin-1.3.3-2.tar.bz2
postgresql-7.1.3-1.tar.bz2

Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Christopher M. Brittin
Executive Vice-President
TRX Data Services
1477 Chain Bridge RD, Suite 201
McLean, VA  22101
www.trx.com

e-mail:  christopher.brittin@trx.com
office:  703.748.1280 x107
mobile: 703.980.0557
e-fax:  801.760.0580

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the
intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.  If
you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of
the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.