cygrunsrv and postgresql

Hello,

 I have PostgreSQL installed under Cygwin and it was running fine as a
service on my NT. Then suddenly my NT hangs for no reason I can see and
I tried to shutdown from the task manager but even that didnt work. So
I just rebooted the computer with power off/power on. After that the
postmaster service no longer starts. I have removed and re-added the
service many times with no use. It still doesn't work. I removed it
with

$ cygrunsrv --remove postmaster

and added again with

$ cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster -a "-i"
--termsig INT --dep ipc-daemon --shutdown --user postgres

the data dir is set as environment variable.

on trying to start the service i get

$ net start postmaster
The postmaster service is starting.
The postmaster service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

looking at application event log int windows event viewer this is the
error reported:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( postmaster ) could not be
found. It contains the following insertion string(s): postmaster : Win32
Process Id = 0x17C : Cygwin Process Id = 0x17C : starting service
`postmaster' failed: execv: 2, No such file or directory.

what's going on and why doesn't the service start? can't it find the
"postmaster" command or something and if not then why is that?

any help is appreciated since im really lost here.. thanks