need help with cygwin tar permission problem

Hi,

I notice that when I do a "tar c"  on a directory with a read-only file,
the read-only permission is converted to a read-write when I un-tar the
tar-file.
I tried the -p, --preserve option with no effect.
This problem started when I upgraded from tar version 1.13-1 to a later
release.
Does anyone know how to tell tar to preserve my original permission?
My current configuration is  cygwin, version 1.3.3-2. tar version is
1.13.19-1

Thanks.

Andrew chang

P.S. Please reply to awc@bitmover.com, I am not on the cygwin mailing