Re: 'mkgroup -d' does not return groups local to the PDC

"Matt.Wilkie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an NT4 Server called FOREMAN which is a member of the
> domain DEPT.
> Foreman is not a domain controller.
> The primary domain controller for Dept is SUPERVISOR.
> I am logged in to Foreman as the Domain Administrator for Dept.

This is the key here: you are logged in, as a domain user, to a member machine.

> Issuing "mkgroup --domain DEPT" shows me all of the Global groups
> from Supervisor. However it doesn't show me the groups which are
> Local to the machine Supervisor.

Why would you expect it to?  The groups that are local to Supervisor are
(oddly enough) local to Supervisor.  Only global groups are available to
member machines (in addition to their own local groups).

> From cygwin, how can get I get a list of the same groups (and
> users) I can see when using the NT GUI "User Manager for Domains"?

I don't think it is possible.  I belive the GUI is actually logging in to the
PDC's Registry and can hence see the local groups on the PDC.

John

p.s. of course, I could be wrong ;~)

--
John Peacock