Install options - was -> RE: Where is this cygwin1.dll ?

Hi Cameron,

I've redirected my response back to the list in case someone in the
future has a similar problem and decides to check the email archives
for the answer.  I assume this won't alarm you.

After reading the account of the process you undertook to install
Cygwin, I just have to say... EGADS!  The setup process must be cryptic!
It never occurred to me that someone would actually just download the
packages to one's machine (via setup) and then believe that the
installation process required some other tool.  I guess that just goes
to show you that newcomers can have a much different view of some
software than those who are used to it.

I can understand your confusion a little better now.  These options
should be more self-documenting I guess (or maybe we need to rename
"Install from Internet" to "Basic/typical install" and put the other
two options under "Advanced".  Unless you understand what the last
two options mean, you should always use the first "Install from Internet".
"Install from Internet" will download everything you need and *install* it.
"Download from Internet" only downloads the software.  You then need to
run setup again and choose "Install from Local Directory" if you actually
want to install what's been downloaded.  You most certainly do not need to
figure out how to unpack all the packages yourself, using tools from other
sources.  To be honest, doing so is completely unsupported by this list.
We highly discourage the use of WinZip or any tool other than setup for
installations, because they always lead to broken installations.

I expect this is enough information for you to resolve your installation
issues.  If not, you may find it useful to look at the following URL:

http://www.cygwin.com/download.html

As it turns out, this link is on the Cygwin home page (www.cygwin.com)
about half way down where it says "read about additional download options".
It explains pretty much what I did above plus one other installation
method available for the "Really Advanced".  Like I said, I don't
recommend anything other than "Install from Internet" for Cygwin newcomers.
But now that you've taken part of the "Advanced" root, you can choose to
complete that path and install Cygwin from your download directory or you
can start again and install directly from the Internet.  Either will get
you a working Cygwin environment.

Good luck,