Re: [Q] mknod: function not implemented

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:11:55AM +0000, K ?? wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  after using mknod ' mknod -m 0666 /devttyS0 ........ '
>  I got this message " mknod: function not implemented "
>
>  Is there anyother way to make device file with cygwin.?
>  I was porting a device driver..

Cygwin has no idea about device drivers.  The /dev devices
in Cygwin are just POSIX layer fakes on top of standard
Win32 functions.  `mknod' doesn't work in Cygwin.

If you're really writing a device driver, you have two
ways to go:

- If it's a device driver for a functionality which is
  already available using Win32 calls and you just want
  to use it in Cygwin, look into the Cygwin sources and
  contribute a new fhandler_dev_foo.

- If you're writing a real, low level device driver, you
  have to use Microsoft's DDK and MSDN to write e.g. a WDM
  driver.  This is completely out of Cygwin's focus.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.