GDB error

I searched the archives on Friday for references to the problem I'm having
and found several but didn't see a solution. If anyone can point me in the
right direction I would be grateful.

I have a small c++ program that compiles and runs, under g++, with no
problem. When I try to use GDB I get an error the moment I run the file.

g++ -o linked.exe -g linked.cxx
gdb -se linked.exe

I get a popup window that says:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault

and I cannot go any further. No window ever actually pops up that I can
issue GDB commands in.

The error also occurs when I add the -nw flag to gdb but I get different info:

gnu GDB 5.0 (20010428-3)
run
(I get 4 files listed all with the "error reading line numbers" message)
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/KERNEL32.dll
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/advapi32.dll
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/psapi.dll
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/IMAGEHLP.dll

Program received SIGSEGV, segmentation fault
0x77f6ce0c in ?? ()

---

I'm really new to Unix and even newer to CYGWIN so I'm completely lost as
to what to do next. I ran setup on Friday and it updated GCC and CYGWIN, I
ran it again today and it updated CYGWIN again so I'm pretty sure that I'm
current on everything.

My system is a PII running NT 4.0 SP5

Thanks,
Sim Gilbert