Re: GDB error

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 04:25:42PM -0700, Simpson Gilbert wrote:
>I searched the archives on Friday for references to the problem I'm having
>and found several but didn't see a solution. If anyone can point me in the
>right direction I would be grateful.
>
>I have a small c++ program that compiles and runs, under g++, with no
>problem. When I try to use GDB I get an error the moment I run the file.
>
>g++ -o linked.exe -g linked.cxx
>gdb -se linked.exe
>
>I get a popup window that says:
>
>Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
>
>and I cannot go any further. No window ever actually pops up that I can
>issue GDB commands in.
>
>The error also occurs when I add the -nw flag to gdb but I get different
>info:
>
>gnu GDB 5.0 (20010428-3)
>run
>(I get 4 files listed all with the "error reading line numbers" message)
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/KERNEL32.dll
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/advapi32.dll
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/psapi.dll
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/IMAGEHLP.dll
>
>Program received SIGSEGV, segmentation fault
>0x77f6ce0c in ?? ()
>
>---
>
>I'm really new to Unix and even newer to CYGWIN so I'm completely lost as
>to what to do next. I ran setup on Friday and it updated GCC and CYGWIN, I
>ran it again today and it updated CYGWIN again so I'm pretty sure that I'm
>current on everything.

This would be one of those "there is something wrong with gdb" errors.

This would also be one of those errors where if I can't duplicate it, I
can't fix it.

Usually, when people have errors with gdb there is a flurry of
discussion where people compare hat sizes, favorite colors, mother's
maiden names, etc.  in an enthusiastic attempt to get to the root of the
problem.

What is always lacking, however, is any actual attempt to debug gdb
itself.

What that means is that the problem will go unfixed for the foreseeable
future.  Sorry.  It isn't good news but it is the most accurate news
there is, currently.

cgf