Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:27:02AM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> >

> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > I've updated the version of bash in cygwin/latest to 2.05a-1.
> > >
> > > This is the official version 2.05a as announced yesterday on
> > > the Cygwin mailing list by Chet Ramey.
> > >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > I now get
> >
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> >
> > It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> > environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?
>
> Honestly, I don't know.  I don't even understand the question.
> I'm maintaining bash but I'm using tcsh privatly so I need some
> more hints.  It would even be better you can track that down
> by yourself and then just blame the source of the problem :-)
>
> Corinna

If I revert to bash-2.05-8 it exports "SHELL=/bin/bash" and so dircolors
outputs the LS_COLORS=.... string. With the introduction of bash-2.05a
the SHELL variable is no longer exported, and so dircolors makes the
complaint. Only the bash.exe need be replaced for this to be
demonstrated.

The question is should bash be exporting the SHELL variable or not?

Cheers

Don Sharp