Re: installshield replacement

Joshua Franklin wrote:

> > I would like to use the cygwin set-up program to
> > install a set of
> > binaries  onto a win32 machine rather than be forced
> > to use InstallShield.
> >
> > Any advice I would be eternally grateful for !
>
> Unless you are wanting to install a supplemental
> Cygwin package that requires cygwin1.dll and a
> UNIX-like environment, you'd probably be better off
> using an actual installer product. If you're looking
> for a Free, Open-Source installer, try NSIS
>
> http://nullsoft.com/free/nsis/
>
> which is used by WinAMP, K-meleon, and lots of other
> projects in replacement of InstallShield.

No, setup is not based on cygwin1.dll.  It is a pure windows app -- and
can be used (with appropriate modifications, of course) to install
non-cygwin software.  E.g. the XEmacs project is using a fork of our
setup to install its software and packages.

Of course, the setup code is GPL, so any fork would have to also be
distributed (with source) under the GPL.

--Chuck