a (not so) simple thing

I wanted to do a really Simple Thing. I have Forte for Java, and
need bash.exe to use CVS on Windows 98.

With absolutely no instructions on the Cygwin web site for doing
just that, I had to download the entire Cygwin product, and no matter
what I typed into that setup list, I got everything. It took weeks
of retries, as it never seemed to recover after crashing during
download.

Finally I have something in a bash directory that ends in bz2. As
I expected, there are invalid instructions concerning this
suffix in the "user's manual" on the Cygwin web site. Since this
is supposed to be a unixy environment for Windows, one would think
it would unpack with an unzipper familiar to Windows users, wouldn't
one?

Neither PKZIP nor WinZip can unpack this format, and GNU tar, using
the "xf" flags, complains that it is not a valid archive file.

So I ask you, exactly what is the user-friendly way to get something
useful out of this bash tar?