Re: a (not so) simple thing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Trahan" <rtrahan@monmouth.com>

http://www.cygwin.com/download.html

> , I had to download the entire Cygwin product, and no matter
> what I typed into that setup list, I got everything. It took weeks
> of retries, as it never seemed to recover after crashing during
> download.

This is in the wishlist, you could have tried different mirrors however.

> Finally I have something in a bash directory that ends in bz2. As
> I expected, there are invalid instructions concerning this
> suffix in the "user's manual" on the Cygwin web site. Since this

Where? Or do you expect us to read your mind from several thousand
kilometres away?

> is supposed to be a unixy environment for Windows, one would think
> it would unpack with an unzipper familiar to Windows users, wouldn't
> one?

No one wouldn't, if one understood how limiting the Windows file system
is and that Winzip and PKZIP consistently misread what is inside
tarballs, including sym and hard links.

> Neither PKZIP nor WinZip can unpack this format, and GNU tar, using
> the "xf" flags, complains that it is not a valid archive file.

Try tar --help and look for bzip2!!!!

> So I ask you, exactly what is the user-friendly way to get something
> useful out of this bash tar?

Use setup.exe, it will do the whole lot in a user friendly way.

Then again, you could respond with sarcasm and get bit bucketed. Your
call.

Rob