Re: cygrunsrv sshd fails: Some clues

Hi,

>Sorry, I thought when you started it manually you just typed:
>
>prompt>sshd
>
>So you are starting the service manually:
>
>prompt>cygrunsrv sshd

Actually, I am starting it through Control Panel or through 'net start sshd'.

>and it works, but starting the service automatically fails? That sounds
>like a problem with whatever version of XP you have

Yes. The version of XP I have is XP Professional, release version. Note
that others have reported this same problem with W2k, too, so I do not
think it is XP-specific.

One thing I noticed is: If I set a parameter to start a .bat file on
service failure (first, second, subsequent) that will execute a 'net start
sshd' and open notepad (that last to make it do something that I see), that
.bat is never started. Very strange. So the service fails but does not
report that properly to the OS?

>, or something about the parameters that XP starts the service with. Have
>you tried to uninstall sshd as a service, and install it with srvany or
>firedaemon?

I have. Specifying c:\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe as the app to be started,
c:\cygwin\usr\sbin as the application directory, and -D as the application
parameters, I get this:
FireDaemon just crashes upon starting the service
srvany says the service started okay. However, will srvany is running, sshd
is not.

So, sshd.exe needs some things to execute that neither FireDaemon nor
srvany provide.

Cheers
Shawn