Re: cygrunsrv sshd fails: Some clues

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 04:24:54AM -0500, Shawn Behrens wrote:
> service called sshd (which already existed), so the sshd service now has a
> 'Description'. I can't see that there were any other changes to the
> service;  which doesn't mean there weren't any, of course, just that I
> can't see them.
>
> Could some of the gals and guys who have the same problem try adding a
> Description to the service via regedit, see whether it starts up then?

What other people with problems starting these service can try is to
add a dependency to another service as e.g. tcpip.  This could
positively influence the load order of the services.  Perhaps they are
just started too early.

> I do notice that while sshd has cygrunsrv as the executable, inetd lists
> itself (c:\cygwin\usr\sbin\inetd.exe) as the executable to be started as a
> service. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Shouldn't inetd also use
> cygrunsrv?

Inetd has been ported many moons before cygrunsrv came to existence.
So it has the NT service handling code builtin.

It's a good question, though.  I'm not quite sure if we shouldn't
better revert these NT service stuff from inetd and use cygrunsrv
to start it.  It's way cleaner a solution.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.