Can't run any executable from cygwin/bin

It's a strange problem: there was a Windows Whistler Server machine (from what I
understand this is a beta version of the Windows XP Server OS) which was running
cygwin-1.3.N (I forgot exactly, but N=1, 2, or 3).

Then the OS was upgraded to the next beta version (I am told that the XP Server
has not been released yet). After that upgrade Cygwin and just about anything in
the /bin directory just stopped working: bash hangs indefinitely (or very long,
w.o. doing anything), cygcheck exits right away w.o. printing anything, tcsh
crashes, ls hangs long before not doing anything, etc ....

I wiped out the all cygwin reg keys, wiped the whole installation and installed
1.3.4 from scratch (yes, I know that 1.3.5 is the most recent one, but the inst
source I used has been used to install on a bunch of XP and 2000 machines around
and works there just fine). Same thing - nothing runs!

Any ideas? Thanks!