SIGINT going to wrong process?

I do development under Linux and Cygwin.

In my makefiles, I have some nice convenience targets like "make debug",
which fires up the debugger and loads my elf on to the MIPS machine that
I'm developing for (cross-compiling etc).

Under Linux, if I do "make debug", and hit Ctrl-C, then gdb passes the
SIGINT on to the process being debugged, and then I can do stuff within
gdb.

Under Cygwin, Ctrl-C seems to go to BOTH gdb AND make, which then kills
my gdb.  Here is some output:

...program is running, then I git CTRL-C...
make: *** [debug] Interrupt

ryans@EAC204125 ~/project
warning: Warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at 0x81fc8.

    GDB is unable to find the start of the function at 0x81fc8
$ and thus can't determine the size of that function's stack frame.
This means that GDB may be unable to access that stack frame, or
the frames below it.
    This problem is most likely caused by an invalid program counter
or stack pointer.
    However, if you think GDB should simply search farther back
from 0x81fc8 for code which looks like the beginning of a
function, you can increase the range of the search using the
`set heuristic-fence-post' command.
0x00081fc8 in ?? ()
(gdb) The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n)

ryans@EAC204125 ~/project
$

So you can see, I hit CTRL-C,"make" gets the interrupt, I get my Cygwin
prompt, AND gdb outputs its usual "I've been interrupted" stuff, but
then make kills the process.

At one time in the past (last year, or there abouts), this used to work
under Cygwin the same as Linux.

Any ideas on this? Where can I start poking in the source to try and fix
this, or at least get some better debug info that would be helpful?

(Hope the above makes sense... hard to describe without a live
demonstration)

--
Ryan T. Sammartino (ryants@shaw.ca)
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/