UNIX Sockets - Broadcast address

OK I didnt mean connecting in the socket API sense.....erm but when bind
takes place an error is given. I specified 127.255.255.255 and even
INADDR_BROADCAST......still same error.

Even tried some demo files from socket book. #

All ok with Linux.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 03:21:13AM +0000, Kay M wrote:
>I have written a client program that connects to the local broadcast
>address and reads datagrams that are produced by a server. It works on my
>linux (no internet) machine. But on my PC under CYGWIN the binding of the
>socket to the Broadcast Address give an error EADDRNOAVAIL.

You're getting the error from the underlying WinSock DLL.  I don't
understand what you're doing, though.  If the server is sending
UDP broadcast messages on your subnet, where do you `connect'???
With UDP you just call readfrom() and wait for a package.  There's
nothing you could connect to or listen on.  And the subnet's
broadcast address isn't a legal address for a machine anyway.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.