Re: gcc -mno-cygwin creates cygwin executables!

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:55:25PM +0100, Teun Burgers wrote:
>egor duda wrote:
>
>> you're fixing specific symptoms instead of the problem itself. this
>> had been discussed already and the general consensus (at least as i
>> understand it) is the following: -mno-cygwin is a _hack_. it's
>> supposed to be used only when absolutely necessary and when you
>> absolutely know what you're doing.
>
>-mno-cygwin certainly is very good hack. I hoped I was contributing
>to making it an even better hack.

If you want to contribute to it, then contribute to what I described in
my original message -- fix 'ld' so that it doesn't have to search /usr/lib
by default.

Anything else you've proposed has just been a workaround.  I am really
not going to subvert the current cygwin DLL layout to accomodate
-mno-cygwin.  Or, let me amend this in the usual way.  If you think that
this is a good idea, send a patch which accomplishes your idea.
Otherwise, I guarantee you that this idea will go nowhere.

Speaking of going nowhere, -mno-cygwin is not going anywhere either.  It
will always be around.  However, I like to dream that the only thing
this option will do is to invoke a i686-pc-mingw32-gcc compiler.

Otherwise, I fear that we'll always be suffering from cross-pollution from
the cygwin libraries.

Although, sadly, if cygwin and mingw exist on the same machine, we'll
*always* be getting "bug reports" from people who complain that
constructions like:

i686-pc-mingw-gcc -o foo.exe -Ic:/cygwin/usr/include/signal.h foo.c

doesn't work right!!!!

>>*** if you want to build executables for mingw platform you should use
>>mingw toolchain, either native or cross.  ***
>
>setup.exe is a huge success of cause and makes things very easy to
>install.  I have never looked at the mingw toolchain, but I bet the
>cygwin stuff is a lot easier to install.
>
>And with a bit of attention paid to the configure script a package can
>build out-of-the box with gcc -mno-cygwin.  This is much better than
>the often ill maintained mingw specific makefiles, if they are there at
>all.

That may be, but -mno-cygwin is a decidedly low-priority goal for the Cygwin
project.  The primary reason is that we don't have anyone other than me
"interested" in supporting it.

cgf