Re: duplicate regexec/regcomp functions detected

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 07:58:49PM +0100, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> I could be wrong, but I think this is the first complaint I've heard
>> about libpthread.a.  The same complaint could be levelled at libm.a.
>> The simple fact of life is that library inclusion order does matter.
>> Cygwin is not the only system that suffers from issues like this.
>>
>Of course, but it should be kept easy as it is possible.
>But remember the above example
>   gcc -o test -lpthread main.o [-lcygwin]
>This isn't a good example, but it causes linkage errors seeming without
>any logic.  When I'm linking to libpthread, than I don't expect to have
>multiple "main" symbols and this "don't do that", if have often heard
>in the past.  I think robust software, as this I have experienced open
>software, should as much as possible should produc predictable results
>and especially error messages.

So, complain to the qt authors.  You have done that, right?

Again, the above link line does not make sense.

I'm not going to waste my time making cygwin into an artifical
intelligence engine capable of figuring out every gaffe made by every
programmer in the world.

When you are porting software you often have to figure out system
dependencies.  Cygwin is no different from AIX, HP/UX, or linux in that
respect.

This is the one simple fact that seems to escape most of the people who
port software to cygwin.  Every variation of UNIX has its own quirks.
If one of Cygwin's quirks is that nonsensical gcc command lines don't
just silently do nothing, I think that's actually a good thing.

>>However, luckily, if this matters to you, you can submit a patch to fix
>>it.  I think that the place to start would be winsup/Makefile.in.
>>
>The patch for creating libpthread.a is appended.  It contains a script
>names "speclib" and an additional rule in the
>src/winsup/cygwin/Makefile.in.

Thanks.  I'll look into this ASAP.

cgf