Compile XEmacs with X support

Has anyone compiled XEmacs successfully with support for XFree86? I would like to run xemacs under
X, rather than the native NT gui, but I run into all kinds of trouble during configure or make. I've tested
different distributions, including 21.1.9, 21.5.4 and 21.4.6 but get none of these to compile.

If anyone did get this working, which distribution did you use, and were any patches applied?

PS: installing with setup.exe of course works fine, but this does not give the option of running xemacs
under X.

Per Magne Knutsen

Department of Neurobiology
Weizmann Institute of Science