RE: /dev/registry

> > How about adding a /dev/registry fhandler to Cygwin? Registry keys would
>be
> > directories and values in the registry files. I'm willing to try coding
>this
> > if people think it's a good idea. It allows shell scripts to easily
>access
> > registry keys as well as programs.
> >

>Well, it looks like I'll be the only one, but this sounds to me like an
>insanely
>*BAD* idea.  It seems to me to be hard enough to keep the Windows registry
>in
>one piece even if you don't dink with it; I shudder to think what horrors
>await
>sombody with fat fingers and an itchy TAB finger (i.e. me):
>
>cat HundredsOfMBsOfCrap >
>/dev/r[TAB-oops-I-meant...well-something-else-anyway]
>
>I'm trying to think where this would actually be useful, but I'm drawing a
>blank.  It seems to me that the registry should have at least a slightly
>higher
>barrier to entry than the command line.

umm /dev/registry I am assuming you would think would act like a file? -
people were suggesing /proc/registry - and as far as I could tell it would
act like a directory - so your 'cat junk' would just fail with invalid
target...
maybe you meant cat hundredsofmbofjunk >
/proc/registry/HKLM/User/Software/Windows/Current/blah/ding/shiznat.sz
?
which i dont see you manageing no matter how hard you try ...

Gareth