/proc (was: Re: /dev/registry)

> Why can't this /dev/registry stuff be just an ioctl()?  Open the
> /dev/registry node for the appropriate access, then use some ioctl()'s to
> read and write it.  Put the /dev/null entry points for the read and write
> handlers for /dev/registry and you won't have that accidental corruption
> from cat.
>
> By the way, if you're using Cygwin, why can't you just call
RegQueryValueExW
> and friends yourself?  You're a Win32 process anyway, and no UNIX has such
> thing - don't care about portability.
1. it's difficult to accidentally cat to a key considering the length of the
names  -
/proc/registry/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/S
hell\ Extensions/Approved/\{BDEADF00-C265-11d0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F\} is a bit
hard to type in by accident...
2. it makes scripting easier
3. ** adding /proc/registry means adding /proc and once a /proc virtual fs
is established, other /proc entries can be added a lot more easily
4. it gives you an alternative to regedit and friends
I almost have a read-only version of this working. I don't see why their
should be objections to this since you can't screw your registry up in any
way. I'll think
about how to add write capabilities later.
I'll probably add some entries to /proc - ones commonly found on UNIX
platforms maybe. Anyone have any favourites they wish to see?

Regards
Chris