Passing double quotes to DOS

I need to be able to pass double quotes to a program running under NT4/DOS
but I cannot find a way of doing so.  To illustrate the problem I have
written a trivial BAT file called e.bat which contains the single line

echo %1

If I run it from a DOS shell with a double quoted parameter it echoes the
parameter with the double quotes intact, e.g.

C:>e.bat "abc"
C:>echo "abc"	(<-- the BAT file echoes the command)
"abc"

However, if I run this program from a bash shell (or tcsh) in the cygwin
environment, I cannot find a way of passing the double quotes to the
program...

$ e.bat "abc"
C:>echo abc
abc

(as expected)

$ e.bat "\"abc\""
C:>echo "\"abc\""
echo "\"abc\""

$ e.bat '"abc"'
C:>echo "\"abc\""
echo "\"abc\""

Note that both the last two result in the same command being passed to
the BAT file.

Can anybody tell me how to do it?

TYIA.

--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services