Re: Passing double quotes to DOS

Richard Gilbert wrote:

> I need to be able to pass double quotes to a program running under NT4/DOS
> but I cannot find a way of doing so.  To illustrate the problem I have
> written a trivial BAT file called e.bat which contains the single line
>
> echo %1
>
> If I run it from a DOS shell with a double quoted parameter it echoes the
> parameter with the double quotes intact, e.g.
>
> C:>e.bat "abc"
> C:>echo "abc"	(<-- the BAT file echoes the command)
> "abc"
>
> However, if I run this program from a bash shell (or tcsh) in the cygwin
> environment, I cannot find a way of passing the double quotes to the
> program...
>
> $ e.bat "abc"
> C:>echo abc
> abc
>
> (as expected)
>
> $ e.bat "\"abc\""
> C:>echo "\"abc\""
> echo "\"abc\""
>
> $ e.bat '"abc"'
> C:>echo "\"abc\""
> echo "\"abc\""

I dont understand the output of the last example ? Is it really the

same like the output of the second sample or it's just copy and
paste mistake ? (DISCLAIMER: My understanding of shell scripts is not
that deep so if I'm asking something very stupid here, please ignore it)

> Note that both the last two result in the same command being passed to
> the BAT file.
>
> Can anybody tell me how to do it?

Does this help: e.bat \"abc\"