From: Scott Prive [mailto:Scott.Prive@storigen.com]
Sent: Monday, 11 February 2002 7 36
To: Stephano Mariani
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: "LINES" environment variable

Stephano,

Sorry I do not have a ready answer, but I can give you some test ideas
that will help isolate your problem some. This will help if you have a
"personal" problem with your PC, or you need to file a defect report.

Someone suggested you set your Command Prompt window size. Did you try
anything here yet?

If I recall, the MS "DOS Prompt" is sized to 24 or 25 lines. Maybe this
is picked up somewhere and overrided your setting? The Cygwin shell (I
presume) "uses" the Microsoft command prompt window. In the Properties
for your Cygwin shell, resize the lines to be 50. Then try running your
app in *this* Window.

Remember, if you change an environment variable, it is only visible for
NEW child processes. So, to see it everywhere you must exit out of all
your open shells, and re-open them.

Test if "other" NT variables can be picked up in Cygwin, and are not
overwritten. I  recall a case where my USER variable was  overwritten (I
wanted mine to be "root", not "Administrator") but I did not pursue this
problem. Cygwin did not overwrite my "HOME" variable however, so there
must be some special cases.

If you are wondering how other shells and subshells handle this, I would
suggest creating a small nested shell script to test this. You might
discover something useful for a bug report -- or you may find a livable
workaround.

Sorry I can't help more... I don't know much about innards of Cygwin and
WinNT. I'm more of a Linux guy, and I like how Cygwin brings a bit of
civility to an otherwise barbaric Windows platform. ;-)

-Scott