Re: cygreadline5.dll redux

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 02:57:43PM -0600, James Garrison wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 11:24:51AM -0600, James Garrison wrote:
>>
>>Hmm.  A mailing list search of the stupid search engine with
>>"cygreadline5.dll not found" unearthed this within a few clicks:
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg01619.html
>>
>>If this doesn't answer the question, then I don't know what the
>>question is.
>
>Sorry, but I don't usually expect files in installed packages to
>simply disappear without warning.   What exactly causes files to
>disappear such that the FAQ answer is "just reinstall the package"?

I'm not sure what this has to do with an inability to find things in
the mailing list archives.  If someone points you to the archives
and the definitive answer from the package maintainer is to reinstall,
then reinstall.

However, to answer your question, the current version of setup.exe is
simple-minded in the way it uninstalls a package prior to installing.

If new 'package a' installs foo.dll and old 'package b' no longer
contains foo.dll, then setup.exe will happily install 'package a' with
it's new foo.dll *but* then uninstall 'package b' (including foo.dll)
and reinstall 'package b'.

The result is that foo.dll is missing.

"We" are working on fixing this in setup.exe but, until then, we'll be
answering this indignant question on a weekly basis, it seems.

cgf